Tonsillitis is the inflammation of the tonsils, which are lymph nodes located on both sides of the throat. It is commonly seen in children, but adults can get it too.
Tonsillitis happens either due to a viral infection or, at times because of a bacterial infection that leads to enlargement of the tonsils. It can be mild, moderate and severe.
Tonsillitis is a highly contagious disease that spreads very quickly from one person to another. The bacteria/ virus is transmitted through droplets in the air via coughing, sneezing or through social contact. This is the reason why you need to treat it immediately.
There are many medicines available to treat tonsillitis. But you can also treat it at home using natural remedies.
Common Symptoms of Tonsillitis
- Sore throat
- Swollen glands on the tonsils
- Runny nose
- Bad breath
- Difficulty swallowing
- Coughing and sneezing
Top 10 Effective Home Remedies for Tonsillitis
1. Gargle with Salt water
One of the best and most common home remedies to treat tonsillitis is to gargle with warm salt water. The salt will help kill the virus or bacteria and warm water gives a soothing effect. Furthermore, salt also helps in reducing inflammation and gives you instant relief.
Mix 1 teaspoon of table salt in a cup of warm water. Gargle with this solution 4-5 times. Spit water out after gargling. Do not swallow the solution.
Repeat this remedy as often as possible for speedy recovery.
Lemon possesses antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiviral, properties that take care of both, the infection as well as the inflammation.
Moreover, the high vitamin C content in lemon improves the body’s resistance to infections.
Take a glass of lukewarm water and add lemon juice (1 lemon), 1 teaspoon of honey and a pinch of salt. Sip it slowly, twice daily for few days.
Also, you can sprinkle a little salt and pepper on a slice of lemon, and then just suck on the lemon slice. It will help to force the phlegm out of your throat. Continue this remedy twice a day for few weeks.
Basil possess antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties which make it an effective home remedy for tonsillitis. Moreover, the healing properties and soothing qualities of Basil will help in reducing the swelling and pain and also speed up the healing process.
- Add 10 to 12 basil leaves to 1 ½ cups of water.
- Boil it for 10 minutes.
- Strain it and add lemon juice (1 lemon) to the solution. You can also opt for one teaspoon of honey to sweeten it.
- Drink this solution 3 times a day for two to three days.
Turmeric has strong anti-inflammatory and antiseptic qualities, which makes it fight off tonsillitis infection and provide relieve from irritating symptoms.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of warm water or salt water. Gargle with this mixture many times a day, especially before going to bed. It will help you get rid of the inflammation and soreness.
- Or, take a glass of warm milk and add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and a pinch of ground black pepper to it. Drink it at night for 2 to 3 days to speed up the healing process.
Also Read: 25 Health Benefits of Turmeric
Cinnamon is rich in antimicrobial properties, which inhibits the growth of bacteria and other micro-organisms in the tonsils. It helps reduce the swelling, pain, and inflammation.
Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder to a glass of hot water and mix 2 teaspoons of honey in it. Sip it slowly. Drink this 2 or 3 times a day for one week.
Also Read: 20 Health Benefits of Cinnamon!
Mint effectively kills the bacteria and viruses that cause tonsillitis as it possesses antimicrobial properties. Furthermore, the menthol in the mint gives a soothing effect to the irritated mucous membranes and relieves you from many of the symptoms.
- Boil 1 glass of water with a handful of mint leaves. Allow the water to boil until it is reduced to half the quantity.
- Strain and add 1 teaspoon of honey to it.
- Drink it while it is still warm. Drink this 2 or 3 times a day for a few days.
- Alternatively, you can also gargle with mint-flavored mouthwash many times a day for as long as you have tonsillitis.
Fenugreek, also called methi, is an excellent cure for tonsillitis as it has antibacterial properties that can kill the bacteria responsible for tonsillitis. Moreover, it also possesses anti-inflammatory properties that give you instant relief from pain and inflammation.
- Add 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds to 3 cups of water. Allow it to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain and let it cool down. Gargle with this solution for at least 30 seconds, and then spit it out. Repeat this process twice daily until your tonsillitis goes away.
8. Slippery elm
Slippery elm contains a gel-like substance that helps ease inflammation, soreness, and pain. On consuming, slippery elm soothes and heals the inflamed tissues, including the mucous membranes of the throat.
- Add 1 teaspoon of the inner bark of slippery elm to 2 cups of boiling water. Let it steep for 5 minutes, then strain the solution. Drink it slowly while it is still warm twice a day. Continue this till your tonsils get healed.
- Or, else mix together 3 teaspoons of the powdered bark of slippery elm, 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder and 2 teaspoons of honey in 4 teaspoons of warm water. Take 1 teaspoon of this mixture at regular intervals for two to three days.
9. Carom seeds
Carom seeds, also known ajwain, holds a great nutritional value that is helpful in fighting the symptoms of tonsillitis. The carom seeds are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that help to boost the immune system, fighting off infection.
- Take a pan and heat ¼ teaspoon of carom seeds until they get brown.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder and stir it for few seconds.
- Add one cup of warm milk to it and mix well. Remove from heat. Drink it while it is still warm. Consume it two times a day for 2 to 3 days.
Figs have high mucilage content and help reduce the pain and soreness caused by tonsillitis. They are quite effective and simple remedy for treating tonsillitis at home.
- Boil 3 dried figs in water and mash them. Add 1 tablespoon of honey to it and eat it two or three times a day for a number of days.
- Else, boil and mash some fresh figs. Use the same water for mashing you used for boiling figs. Now, apply this paste on the outer part of your throat. Allow it to dry naturally, then rinse it off with warm water. Repeat this process once daily to relieve pain from tonsillitis.
Tips to remember
- Always cover your mouth while sneezing or coughing
- Carry a hand sanitizer with you always and use it when there is no water available to wash your hands.
- Keep your house clean and dirt free. Use essential oil diffuser to keep insects and flies away.
- Avoid making close contact with people who are sick or having tonsillitis.
- Do not smoke and drink alcohol.
- Avoid sharing your glasses, utensils and other personal things like bathing towels, handkerchief, etc. with sick people.
- Avoid consuming too much of carbonated drinks like coffee or tea.
- Avoid spicy and sour foods.