Having gray hairs is a nightmare and a great concern, especially for younger adults in their 20s or 30s as gray hairs make them look much older than they are. factors like poor nutrition, genetic predisposition, hormonal fluctuations, pollution, stress, smoking, use of unsuitable hair products, and certain diseases such as chronic colds, sinusitis etc., can be a reason for gray hairs.
The strands of hair turn white or gray due to low amounts of melanin (the pigment that gives your hair its natural color). The melanocyte activity slows down as you age and the body gradually stops producing melanin.
So, instead of covering those gray strands with chemical-laden hair colors, try some natural home remedies which actually give great results. Moreover, eat a healthy and nutritious diet. Grays may also be caused due to deficiency of certain vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B, iron, and iodine.
Causes of Grey Hair
- Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Tuberous sclerosis
- Tobacco consumption
- Improper care of hair
- Extensive use of hair colors
Home Remedies for Grey Hairs!
1. Indian gooseberry
Indian gooseberry (amla), is excellent for hair problems. It helps in treating dull hair, hair loss and premature graying. It has anti-aging benefits and is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants. Moreover, besides consuming this fruit, you can also apply amla oil or pulp of amla on your hair.
- Boil some coconut oil and a few dried Indian gooseberry pieces together in a pan until they become charred. Let the oil cool. Apply this oil on your hair and scalp. Leave it on overnight, or for an hour, before rinsing it out. Do this at least once or twice a week.
- Mix together one tbsp. each of Indian gooseberry pulp and lemon juice. Massage your scalp with it at night before going to bed and wash it out the next morning.
2. Curry leaves
Curry leaves help to increase darker pigmentation in your hair. When combined with coconut oil, it works as a great hair tonic.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add a handful of fresh curry leaves to it. Boil them until they become charred. Strain the oil. Massage it on your hair and scalp. Leave it for 30 to 45 minutes before rinsing it out.
- Do this at least once or twice a week.
Henna is a wonderful natural hair colorant. In addition to making your hair darker, it will strengthen and condition your lustrous locks.
- Make a paste by grinding a handful of henna leaves. Add 3 teaspoons of Indian gooseberry powder, 1 teaspoon of coffee powder, and a little plain yogurt. Apply it evenly on your hair. Let it dry, then rinse it out and shampoo your hair as usual. Continue this process once every two to four weeks.
- Alternatively, boil some henna leaves in coconut oil/ mustard oil until the leaves become charred, and use this oil on your hair.
4. Coconut oil
Coconut oil moisturizes your hair, stimulates hair growth, and adds luster to your hair. When used regularly, it also helps reverse gray hair because it is packed with antioxidants.
Also Read: 30 Health Benefits of Coconut & Coconut Oil.
- Mix 3 teaspoons of lemon juice in some coconut oil. Apply it to your hair and scalp. Massage slowly and properly in a circular motion into your scalp. Leave it for at least an hour before shampooing your hair.
- Repeat thus on a weekly basis.
You can get shikakai powder easily from nearby drug stores. Soak shikakai powder and 10-12 soap nut seeds in one jug of water, overnight. Boil this mixture and then store this in a bottle as a natural shampoo. Separately, soak a few pieces of amla and boil it to be used as a conditioner. This remedy treats many hair problems, like hair graying, thinning, dullness, and hair fall.
Onion juice is considered to be a brilliant home remedy for thinning hair, hair fall and premature graying. Researchers have found that gray hair is caused by the buildup of hydrogen peroxide at the base of the hair follicles and by a decrease in a natural antioxidant compound, called catalase. Onion juice promotes the production of compound catalase.
Also Read: 15 Health Benefits of Onions!
- Apply onion juice on your scalp. Massage, and leave for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Repeat the process twice or thrice in a week.
Amaranth treats hair loss and also helps stop premature graying by retaining the natural color of your hair.
- Shampoo your hair. Then, apply freshly extracted amaranth juice on your hair and scalp.
- Rinse it out.
8. Black sesame seeds
Black sesame seeds are quite effective in getting rid of the problem of premature graying of hair. They are rich in protein, iron, calcium, phosphorous, and magnesium.
- Eat a teaspoon of black sesame seeds daily for at least three months to see good results. Also, applying sesame oil regularly on your hair is also useful.
Boil the chamomile powder for 20 minutes in water. Let it cool and then strain it. To treat your gray hair, apply this brew regularly.
10. Aloe Vera gel
Aloe Vera is best for any kind of hair problem. It is best for dull hairs, graying of hairs, hair fall, thinning.
- Apply aloe Vera gel directly over your hairs and massage on scalp. Follow this for 2-3 times in a week.
- Continue this process for 2 months to see good results.
Apply ashwagandha or Indian ginseng on your scalp for treating your gray hairs. It is good to use as it helps in increasing the melanin content of the hair.
Ginger is also considered good to help you treating your grey hairs.
Also Read: 20 Health Benefits of Ginger!
- Mix grated ginger with a tablespoon of honey.
- Take this on a daily basis for preventing hair from turning gray.
Tips to remember
- Always keep your scalp clean.
- Make sure you have an iron and vitamin rich diet.
- Quit smoking and alcohol.
- Avoid caffeine and junk food
- Don’t stress. Try meditation to release stress.
- Do exercise regularly.
- Never use hot water for washing your hairs.
- Never comb wet hair.
- Do not tie your wet hair.
- Do not use hair dryers for drying up your wet hairs. Let your hair dry by themselves.
- Use only mild shampoos and conditioners.
- Don’t use hair products that contain harsh chemicals. Go for natural hair products.
- Moisturize your strands properly.
- Cover your hair with a scarf or hat while going out in sun.
- Massage the scalp of hair with fingertips in a circular motion to induce blood flow.
- Always wear shower caps while swimming as the chlorine mixed in public pools can damage your hair.