Diarrhea or Diarrhoea occurs when our digestive system is not functioning properly, which results in a frequent loose or watery stools, three or more times a day.
Major Causes of Diarrhea
- Consumption of contaminated food and water
- Bacterial infections
- Food intolerances
- Intestinal diseases such as irritable bowel syndrome and ulcerative colitis.
- Viral infections
Symptoms of Diarrhea
- Frequent and loose stools
- Abdominal pain,
- Lightheadedness or dizziness from dehydration
- Weight loss
It generally takes 2-4 days for diarrhoea to disappear completely, depending upon the intensity of the problem. Well, you can combat diarrhea with many of natural, home remedies that fight the infection as well as provide relief from the symptoms.
Home Remedies for Diarrhea
Yogurt contains probiotics that help to balance your stomach and maintain the digestive tract. The good bacteria inside a bowl of yogurt have the power to recover you from detrimental diarrhea.
- 2 bowls of yogurt are the suggested amount one should consume to fight against normal diarrhea. It is better to eat yogurt with no flavor (small amount of flavor is acceptable but don’t use excessively) and you can also add a banana to increase your appetite.
Ginger is quite an effective treatment for food poisoning and can also help you stay away from the cramps and abdominal pain which are the main symptoms of diarrhoea. Ginger has great anti-inflammatory properties that can ease irritated bowels and promote the digestive activities.
- Take a piece of ginger and slice it into small pieces. Mix it with a teaspoon of honey and take it.
Also Read: 20 Health Benefits of Ginger!
3. Fenugreek seeds
Fenugreek seeds have a great amount of mucilage content which makes it a good supplement to fight against diarrhea. The seeds of fenugreek are really quick to remove the diarrhea effects that your body are encountering.
- Chew 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds along with 1 tablespoon of yogurt. For taste, combine the mixture with cumin seeds. Consume this mixture thrice daily for quick relief from diarrhea.
4. Apple cider vinegar
ACV directly combats the bacteria that possibly trigger the disease. It is known to have a lot of good features that eradicates all the bad experience along with diarrhea.
- Consume 1 teaspoon of ACV followed by a glass of water to remove its tough flavor.
- Alternatively, add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water. Then drink the mixture.
Also Read: 30 Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar!
Bananas also help to treat diarrhea effectively. The ripe bananas are rich in pectin, a water-soluble fiber that eases the tiring symptoms of diarrhea. Furthermore, the content of potassium, an electrolyte, is likely to enhance the vital functions in the body. You can eat banana alone or along with yogurt.
Also Read: 10 Health Benefits of Bananas!
6. Chamomile tea
Chamomile tea is really a great option for diarrhea for its soothing effect on aggravated parts of the digestive system. It helps to stop diarrhea at the soonest possible time. Moreover, it may be great in providing relief from abdominal pains along with stomach disorders, which are all the basic problems related to diarrhea.
- Brew a cup of chamomile tea with hot water and wait for a few minutes. Drink it alone or add a small amount of fresh lemon juice.
7. White rice
Plain white rice is one of the foods you must have during diarrhea. In diarrhea, as your digestive system gets weakened, it is necessary to eat something beneficial to it like white rice. Moreover, white rice also plays a role in adding bulk to the stools.
- Eat white rice in small amounts and slowly improve the amount. Don’t try to eat much at a time as it can even worsen your system. Do not add sauces or spices as it may be somehow overloaded for your stomach.
8. Carrot soup
Carrot soup adds much bulk to the stools and enables your digestive system to work better. It is particularly good for children recuperating from diarrhea because it provides essential nutrients lost during diarrhea.
- Cook carrots in a half cup of water for a couple of minutes.
- Remember to add a pinch of salt to make the soup taste better while cooking the carrots.
- You should also combine carrot soup to your daily meals for few days even when you are over with diarrhea problem to make sure that your stomach completely recovers.
Also Read: 15 Health Benefits of Carrot!
Peppermint is a great substance which helps to ease stomach problems. Prepare some sprigs of mint and make sure that what you have got in your hand is properly washed with water. Steep a few sprigs of mint with hot water for a few minutes. Allow the water to cool and drink this solution.
10. Keep away from dairy products
Although dairy products such as milk, butter, and cheese, taste good and increase your appetite in these circumstances, but they may have to be avoided during the onset of diarrhea. They won’t give help to your stomach but even make it get worse. For people who have lactose intolerance, keep any kind of dairy products above and beyond their reach.
11. Fluids intake
Diarrhea can make your body become dehydrated. Drink at least 8 glasses of water along with coconut water, vegetable soups, and clear broths when suffering from diarrhea. This will fulfill the nutrient requirements of the body making it function better and fight from diarrhea. You can also opt for sports drinks that do not contain caffeine.
12. BRAT diet
BRAT diet, is the shortened form of Banana, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast. They are less likely to contribute to further digestive upset and are more likely to soothe your intestines. These four things listed above may give the best treatment to all the affected parts involving in diarrhea. Include these four elements in your main diet. Mix small portions of each product for each meal that you are going to take in. Don’t try to put butter on the toast as it will worsen your stomach.