A lot of people nowadays have dark circles under their eyes. Under Eye Dark circles are more common among older people but it can develop at an early age also. Irrespective of age, men and women both usually don’t feel good when they have “bags” under their eyes. It is often a hereditary condition.
Also, under eye dark circles get worse with age as the skin gets thin and loses subcutaneous fat, which in turn exposes the blood vessels lying beneath the skin. But there are many other factors also such as inadequate sleep, excessive smoking, improper diet, excessive drinking, pollution, and allergies, which contribute to dark circles.
Moreover, hormonal imbalances during pregnancy, menstruation, or menopause can also contribute to dark circles.
There are many cosmetic products available in the market designed to minimize the appearance of dark circles under the eyes. But, most of these products are quite expensive and also contain chemicals that can be harmful to your delicate skin. So, why not try natural and simple home remedies? There are many natural remedies available which effectively lighten the under eye dark circles giving you a younger look.
Home Remedies for Under Eye Dark Circles
Cucumbers have a cooling effect. It also has astringent properties and hence they are widely used to treat dark circles. They lighten the skin color, reduce the puffiness and also increase blood flow.
- Cut thick slices of cucumber and chill them in the refrigerator. Now, place a cool cucumber slice over each eye for 10- 15 minutes. Then wash the area with lukewarm water. Continue this twice daily for at least a week to see the results.
- Another way to lighten dark circles is- mix cucumber juice and lemon juice in equal quantities. Apply it on the skin near the eyes using a cotton ball. Leave for 15 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water. Practice this once daily for 8- 10 days.
2. Green tea bags
Green tea is rich in antioxidants and tannins and can help lighten under eye dark circles. The tannins present in tea also reduce the swelling and puffiness.
- Boil 2 green tea bags in 1 ½ cup of water for 10 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags from the cup and cool them in the refrigerator for ½ hour.
- Put the cold tea bags over your eyes for about 15 minutes.
- Continue this remedy for at least 10 days to get positive results. Do it twice daily.
There are natural bleaching properties present in potatoes that can help lighten under eye dark circles. Also, they can help get rid of the puffiness around the eyes.
- Cool 2 potatoes in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Peel them and grate to extract the juice.
- Add 2-3 drops of lemon juice to it and then using a cotton ball, apply this mix around your eyes before going bed. Leave it on overnight.
- Wash it off with warm water, in the morning.
- Continue this remedy daily for a week or more to get positive results.
4. Rose water
Rose water has fabulous skin-enhancing benefits that can lighten the under eye dark circles. Being rich in antioxidants rose water can help strengthen the skin cells, regenerating skin tissues and also rejuvenate the skin around the eyes.
- Dip cotton balls in rose water and place them over your eyes.
- Leave it for about 15 minutes and then wash the area with lukewarm water.
- Do this twice daily for two weeks.
5. Almond oil
Almond oil is rich in nourishing vitamins and minerals that help to replenish and rejuvenate the skin, keeping it moisturized. It is also very effective in lightening the skin color around the eyes helping you lighten those dark circles under the eyes.
- Massage with 5-6 drops of almond oil on the skin under the eyes before going to bed. Leave it overnight and wash it off with cold water the next morning.
- Continue this remedy daily until the dark circles disappear almost entirely.
The lactic acid present in milk helps to soften and moisturize the skin under eyes. Also, there are proteins, amino acids, enzymes, and antioxidants present in milk that are required to strengthen the skin and for healing the damaged skin. You can use milk as a cold compress to treat dark circles and reduce the eye puffiness.
- Chill a cup of milk for 1 hour.
- Dip a cotton ball in it and place them under your eyes and hold them there until they become warm.
- Continue this remedy 3-4 times daily for a few weeks.
Tomatoes contain the antioxidant lycopene, which helps lighten the dark circles.
- Blend 1 medium-sized tomato into a paste.
- Add 1 ½ teaspoon of lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of gram flour and a pinch of turmeric powder to the tomato paste. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Apply this paste on the dark circles. Sit for 15 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Do this 2-3 times a week until your dark circles go away completely.
Also Read: 20 Amazing Health Benefits of Tomatoes!
8. Mint leaves
Mint leaves have a cooling effect that can immediately soothe tired eyes, which in turn helps reduce dark circles.
- Make some paste of mint leaves and mix tomato juice in it.
- Apply it under the eyes. This remedy will help eliminate the dark patches of skin, removing the dark circles.
9. Coconut oil
Coconut oil moisturizes the delicate skin under eyes, which in turn lightens dark circles. It gives positive results within a few days because coconut oil is easily absorbed by the skin.
- Massage in a circular motion (first clockwise and then counter-clockwise) using a little coconut oil on the skin near the eyes.
- Leave it overnight and the next morning rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Follow this remedy daily for about a week.
Fenugreek seeds have a high amount of protein, potassium and vitamin C that help lighten dark circles under the eyes. Also, they can help balance the pH level of your skin, which is essential to maintain an even skin tone.
- Soak 2 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in water for 3-4 hours.
- Grind the seeds into a smooth paste. Mix 1 ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder, and 1 teaspoon of raw milk to the fenugreek paste.
- Apply this mixture under your eyes and leave for about 15 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water.
- Repeat once daily for a week.
11. Orange juice
Mix some orange juice and a few drops of glycerine. Apply this mixture over the dark circles. It will lighten the dark circles and will also provide a natural glow to the area around your eyes.
12. Corn flour
Mix corn flour and yogurt in equal proportions in a bowl, and apply this on the area, affected by dark circles. It will work like a charm on the dark circles.
13. Castor oil
Mix one teaspoon of castor oil with one teaspoon of milk cream. Apply this mixture on the area below eyes in order to cure the problem of dark circles.
Important Tips to remember
- Take proper sleep.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat a healthy diet which consists of lots of fruits and green leafy vegetables.
- Treat your nasal congestion as blocked nose also results in dark circles around the eyes.
- Avoid smoking.
- Quit drinking.