Lying on the bed whole night and only changing poses, eyes wide open, staring at the ceiling, and mind racing, no idea where your sleep vanished. Well, it is a red alert for you because you might be suffering from insomnia.
Insomnia is the sleeping disorder. When a person can’t sleep properly, it results in lethargy, dizziness, emotional instability, daytime fatigue, impaired memory, irritability, poor performance. Insomnia is of 3 types:
- Temporary- lasts for a few days
- short-term- lasts for two or three weeks
- Chronic insomnia- lasts for more than a month.
People with the sleeping disorder may experience the inability to sleep despite being tired, waking in the bed at night, not feeling fresh even after sleep or waking up too early, etc.
Causes of insomnia
- Going to bed hungry
- Frequent naps during the day
- Stress and anxiety,
- Arthritis pain
- Restless leg syndrome,
- Impact of medications,
- Changes in work shift or sleeping pattern,
- Traumatic injury
- Fear or any kind of phobia
- Frequent urination due to diabetes
- Excessive caffeine intake
- Disturbing sleep events like nightmares
Effective Home Remedies for Insomnia
1. Drink Milk
Drinking a glass of lukewarm milk before going to bed induces the sleeping effect on your body that helps you get a nap easily. Furthermore, it contains an amino acid- tryptophan, which stimulates the production of serotonin that ultimately provides you with a better sleep. Milk is considered one of the Best Home remedies for Insomnia.
- You can also mix honey in the milk.
- Else, along with honey, mix a pinch of cinnamon powder in it.
- Massaging your toes gently with milk also induces sleep.
it is quite effective in healing insomnia. Nutmeg is loaded with myristicin that works as a tranquilizer and it helps you get a natural sleep.
- Mix a pinch of nutmeg powder with 1 teaspoon of fresh Indian gooseberry juice. Consume this mixture three times a day. Along with insomnia, it also resolves the issues of indigestion and depression.
- Else, blend the half teaspoon of powdered nutmeg with a pinch of cinnamon powder, one teaspoon of raw honey and water to form a paste. Then, boil a cup of milk and pour all the mixture in it. Stir well. Sip it before you hit the hay.
- Or, take 1/8th teaspoon of nutmeg powder and mix it with one cup of lukewarm milk. Drink this mixture daily.
- Take a 1/4th teaspoon of nutmeg powder and add it in a cup of warm water or you can choose any of your favorite juice.
3. Poppy seeds
Poppy seeds are a good source of B-complex vitamins, minerals, calcium and carbohydrates. Taking one teaspoon of poppy seed or oil before going to bed can solve the problem of insomnia.
- Take one teaspoon each of white poppy seeds and coconut powder. Add water to it in a small amount to make a thick paste. Take a frying pan and melt some clarified butter in it. Now, add a pinch of cumin and turmeric to it and remove immediately from heat. After 1 minute, mix that paste in it and add salt for taste. Eat this mixture 1 hour before you sack out.
- Else, you can consume 30 grams of poppy seeds’ milk with some sugar.
4. Eat Bananas
Bananas contain tryptophan, magnesium, melatonin, and serotonin, which work as body relaxants making them one of the Most Effective Home remedies for Insomnia. They have a high amount of carbohydrate that will make you sleepy. So, simply eat a banana before going to bed.
- You can consume a mix of mashed banana and roasted cumin seeds after dinner.
- Else, you can also have a banana smoothie 1 hour before your bedtime.
- Or, you can have a banana with toast and peanut butter.
Also Read: 20 Health Benefits of Bananas!
5. Enjoy Oats
They are rich in melatonin which induces sleep hence making it a sleep-inducing meal. Eat oatmeal on regular basis to get rid of this problem. You can also add 2 tablespoons of flaxseeds in your oatmeal. Gulp it at night.
6. Eat Yogurt
it enables the body to absorb essential minerals and nutrients and also improves the digestive system. It is advised to consume 3 cups of curd daily for a person suffering from insomnia, in order to get a sound sleep. A massage on the head with it is also beneficial.
7. Drink Cumin tea
Take one teaspoon of cumin seeds and heat it for about 5 seconds. Add one cup of water to it and then, simmer it to the boiling point. Then, remove from heat and cover it with a lid. After 5 minutes, strain the solution. Drink this tea before you sleep.
8. Apple cider vinegar and Honey
ACV is loaded with amino acids that relieve the body from fatigue, thus helping you get natural sleep. On the other hand, honey raises the insulin levels in the body that release serotonin, thus, promoting sleep. Mix two tablespoon each of honey and organic apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water. Drink it before you sleep.
Or, blend two tsp. of ACV in a cup of honey. Take 1 tbsp. of this mixture with or without water.
9. Sesame oil
Sesame seeds are rich in polyunsaturated fat that helps in relieving the nervous and muscular tension thus helping you get a sound sleep. Consuming sesame oil on regular basis improves the blood circulation, reduces anxiety and prevents digestive disorders. Daily massage your feet with this oil before you sleep.
it is rich in phthalides that work in decreasing the secretion of stress inducing hormones, ultimately, relaxing the muscular and nervous systems. Crush few celery leaves along with their stalk, to extract their juice. Mix 1 tablespoon of honey to it. Consume it at night before you hit the sack.
Also Read: 21 Health Benefits of Celery!
people suffering from sleep disorder should have a leaf of basil for chomping. Also, spread some basil leaves beneath the pillow and around the corners of the bed. The aroma of the leaves will strike your nostrils which will make you feel sleepy.
12. Lavender oil
Lavender oil acts as a tranquilizer and helps you get a sound sleep. Massage with few drops of this herbal oil on the forehead and temple. The beautiful fragrance of this oil induces sleep. So, use it before you go to bed.
Valerian is a popular herb, commonly used to treat sleep disorders. It has a sedative effect and relaxes the body muscles. Mix half teaspoon of grated valerian root and nutmeg. Add 2 cups of hot water to this mixture. Strain the solution after 15 minutes and drink it. Valerian is a Very Powerful Remedy for Insomnia. Give it a Try!
- Or, boil a cup of water. Remove it from heat and add 1 tsp. of valerian herb to it. Stir well and strain this decoction after few minutes. Drink.
- Else, you can also use valerian tincture. Dilute ½ tsp. of its tincture in one glass of water. Drink it 2 times a day.
14. Lemon balm
Boil a cup of water and add 2-3 teaspoons of lemon balm to it. Steep for few minutes. Drink this herbal tea before bedtime.
Lettuce contains lactucarium, a sleep-stimulating substance, which has tranquilizing properties and it has effects similar to the opium poppy. Take two lettuce leaves and boil them in 2 cups of water for five minutes. Add honey to the solution. Let it cool, then, strain. Drink it at least half an hour before you sleep. It will you get a good sleep.
- Else, lettuce juice can also be consumed.
Apart from Trying the above Home remedies for Insomnia, You should also Follow below Tips.
Tips to remember
- Perform meditation and yoga, especially deep breathing exercises.
- Select a peaceful, dark, comfortable room for your sleep.
- Eat your dinner at least 2-3 hours before bedtime.
- If you need to stay up late at night, then eat those stuff that are rich in carbohydrates and low in protein.
- Listen to your soft favorite music around 45 minutes before catching sleep.
- Eat raw onion salad.
- Take plenty of calcium, potassium, and iron to cope up with sleep disorders.
- Try to maintain a distance from your laptop, iPod, and phones at night as the blue wavelengths of your phones reduce the secretion of melatonin which, in turn, affects your sleep.
- Avoid watching TV before bedtime.
- Stay away from alcohol and caffeine.
- Try avoiding naps during the day time.
- Don’t take liquids in excess half an hour before you sleep, in order to avoid urination.