A headache makes our whole day miserable. There are different types of headaches – migraine, sinus, and tension headache. Some signs of a headache that you will notice are the confusion of ideas, tightness around neck, eyes, head, and blurring of vision.
Some of the leading causes of a headache – overuse of painkillers, excessive drinking and smoking, oversleeping, tension, abnormal neuron activity, genetic factors, dehydration, constriction of blood vessels, and lack of sleep.
If you are fed up of taking medicines for headaches or you are one of those who prefers home treatment over medicines, then here are some home remedies you can try to get rid of this nasty headache.
Ginger works to decrease the soreness of the blood vessels in the head that relieves a headache.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to dry ginger powder and make a paste. Apply it on the forehead.
- Drink the mixture of lemon juice and ginger juice in equal quantities 1-2 times a day.
- This remedy is not a good one. But if you can bear the taste of ginger then chew 1-2 pieces of ginger candy (crystallized).
- Boil raw ginger in water for a few minutes. Inhale its steam by covering yourself with a towel all over leaning on the bowl.
2. Ice pack
Ice works to lessen the inflammation and also eases your pain.
- To soothe your headache, you need to apply an ice pack on the back of your neck.
- Dip a cloth in ice-cold water and put it on your head for 5-7 minutes. Repeat it several times. It is same what your mother used to do when you have a fever.
- Or, wrap few frozen vegetables in a bag. Use this as a cold compress on your head.
Apples by keeping their poem true- ‘ an apple a day keeps the doctor away’ again save you, this time from a chronic headache. Eat an apple with some salt sprinkled on it, in the morning for a week. This will balance the levels of alkali and acid in your body, thereby relieving you from a chronic headache.
Take 2-3 lemons and remove their outer covering (rind). Prepare a paste by crushing the rind. Apply this paste on your forehead.
5. Apple cider vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is like whatever problem you have I am there for you as a remedy.
- Take a glass of water and add 2 teaspoons of ACV to it. Mix properly and drink.
- Mix equal quantities of ACV and water and boil it. Sniff the steam to cure a sinus headache.
6. Caraway seeds
Dry roast some of the caraway seeds and tie them in a muslin cloth or handkerchief. Inhale the smell of roasted seeds to get rid of a headache.
Add 2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder and 1 teaspoon of honey to 1½ cups of milk and stir it properly. Drink this mixture two times a day when you suffer from a headache.
- Or, drink water mixed with honey on an empty stomach every morning to cure a headache.
Cloves are the natural painkiller and relieve us from a tension headache.
- Crush few cloves and place them in a clean cloth. Inhale the odor of crushed cloves, whenever you feel a headache.
- Mix 2 drops of clove oil with a tablespoon of carrier oil. Use this mixture to massage your forehead.
- Or, mix 1 teaspoon of sea salt and 2 teaspoons of coconut oil with 2 drops of clove oil. Rub the mixture on your forehead.
Have a handful of almonds whenever you feel a headache. Almonds contain salicin that acts as a pain reliever. People suffering from migraines must not use this remedy.
10. Green tea
Make your green tea and drink and enjoy saying bye to your headache. Put a green tea bag in 1 cup warm water. Add ½ lemon juice to it. Mix and Drink.
Rosemary oil is well-known for its anti-inflammatory and soothing properties due to the presence of rosmarinic acid.
- Mix few drops of rosemary oil with 1 tablespoon of carrier oil and massage it on the forehead.
- Add 1 teaspoon crushed sage leaves and rosemary leaves to a cup of water. Steep for 8-10 minutes. Let it cool down to room temperature. Drink it twice or thrice a day. People suffering from high blood pressure or epilepsy should not use rosemary oil.
12. Mint juice
Mint juice contains menthol that helps to soothe the discomfort caused due to a headache. It has a cooling effect that relieves from a headache.
- Take a handful of mint leaves and crush them. Extract the juice and apply this juice on head to get rid of a headache.
- Prepare mint tea. Soak a cotton ball in the tea and apply on your forehead.
13. Peppermint oil
Peppermint has menthol which has a calming effect that helps alleviate a headache.
- Mix 3 drops of peppermint oil in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, almond oil or you can also take only water. Use this mixture to massage your forehead.
- Boil some water and add 4-5 drops of peppermint oil. Inhale the vapors.
Basil has analgesic and soothing effects that relax the tense muscles and treats a mild headache.
- Add 3-4 basil leaves in 1 cup of boiling water. Steep and Strain it. Add some honey for taste. Sip.
- Add a few drops of basil oil to boiling water in a pot. Inhale the steam.
- Chew some fresh basil leaves daily.
15. Lavender oil
Inhale the pleasant smell of lavender essential oil to relief yourself from a tension headache.
- Boil 2 cups of water and add 2 drops of lavender essential oil to it. Inhale the vapors.
- Combine 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil with 1 tablespoon of carrier oil (olive oil or almond oil). Use this mixture to massage your forehead. Don’t intake lavender oil orally.
Add some vinegar to the henna flowers and rub on the head. Henna flowers are quite effective in relieving from a headache resulted due to heat
17. Eucalyptus oil
Massage with the Eucalyptus oil to get relief from a headache. It is one of the best natural remedies for the treatment of a headache.
Sandalwood has a cooling effect. It very effective to apply sandalwood in summers not only to treat headaches but for soothing your skin also. Rub the sandalwood powder on your forehead to cure a headache in summers.
Prepare a tea using coriander seeds, ginger, and cumin. Drink it to soothe the pain.
- Prepare a decoction of coriander and sugar. Drink.
20. Fish oil
The ingredients present in fish oil soothes the inflammation of blood cells, thus, lessens your headache.
- Add a tablespoon of fish oil to a glass of orange juice. Drink. Alternatively, you can also consume fish oil capsules.
Tips to remember
- Get proper sleep.
- Stay hydrated.
- Do exercise to avert stress.
- Eat healthy food. Do not skip meals.
- Avoid cream, chocolate, fried and junk foods as it may worsen the pain.
- Avoid caffeinated beverages
- Read the labels on food. While FDA requires companies to list many things on their labels, but some things can also be hidden as a component of other ingredients. So please take care of that.