Celery is a marshland plant variety, has been cultivated as a vegetable since ancient times. It is also used as a spice. Depending on the location where it grows and cultivars, either its stalks, leaves, or hypocotyl are eaten and also used in cooking. Celery extracts are used in medicines.
The health benefits of celery include, it lowers cholesterol, prevents cancer, helps weight loss reduces pain from arthritis, detoxifies the body, maintains blood pressure, and promotes overall health.
Nutritional value (Per 100 g)
20 Science-backed Health Benefits of Celery:
1. Lowers blood pressure
Celery contains Phthalides that help to lower blood pressure. Phthalides are organic chemical compounds that lower the level of stress hormones in the blood. This allows blood vessels to expand, thereby reducing pressure. So, when blood pressure is reduced, there is less stress on the entire cardiovascular system, and reduced chances of developing atherosclerosis, heart attack or a stroke.
2. Reduced cholesterol
Consuming celery on a daily basis may reduce bad cholesterol levels. The Phthalides stimulate the secretion of bile juices, which reduce cholesterol levels. The fiber found in celery works by scraping out cholesterol from the bloodstream, eliminating it from the body with regular bowel movements. This improves and also boosts up cardiovascular health.
3. Antiseptic properties
Celery seeds are commonly used for its diuretic properties. It helps in the elimination of uric acid. Therefore, celery is beneficial for people with bladder disorders, kidney problems, and urinary tract infections in women.
4. Anti-inflammatory properties
Celery has anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce swelling and pain around the joints. It is great for people suffering from arthritis, rheumatism, and gout.
5. Prevents cancer risks
Celery contains cancer-fighting components- phthalides, flavonoids, and polyacetylenes that detoxify carcinogens. It also contains Coumarin that works by enhancing the activity of certain white blood cells, which can effectively ward off cancer. These antioxidant components eradicate free radicals floating in the body thus protecting from cancer.
Celery is rich in vitamin C and also has other antioxidants which greatly boosts the strength of the immune system. Consuming celery regularly can reduce your risk of catching a common cold and also protects from other infections.
7. Reduce risk of asthma
Vitamin-C has anti-inflammatory properties and it also prevents free radical damage, therefore, helps to lessen the severity of inflammatory conditions like asthma.
8. Promoting heart health
The roots of celery contain vitamin C, fiber, and other organic chemicals that help in promoting cardiovascular health.
9. Diuretic activity
Celery is rich in minerals- sodium and potassium that help to regulate the fluid balance in the body. Moreover, potassium also acts as a vasodilator, helps in reducing blood pressure.
10. Relieving migraines
Studies show that the presence of coumarins can provide relief from migraines. The suppression of Nitric Oxide release in the brain relieves from headaches and migraines.
11. Treats rheumatism
The celery extracts have 85% 3nB which is quite effective for treating arthritis and muscular pains.
12. Relief from eye diseases
13. Nerve calming properties
Celery is also helpful in soothing nerves. It contains high calcium that is used to calm the nerves.
14. Weight loss
Celery helps in losing weight. Celery is very low in calories, but it keeps full for a long time because of the fiber content. Drinking celery juice regularly before meals help reduce the tendency to overeat, losing weight.
15. Keeps hydrated
Celery is high in water content and electrolytes, which are important for proper hydration and all the cellular activities of the body. Consuming celery juice with coconut water is the best rehydrating drink.
16. Packed with alkaline minerals
Some foods such as meat, dairy, and highly processed foods give a feeling of burning. Celery has neutralizing effects on acidifying foods. It is rich in potassium, magnesium, sodium, and iron which are alkalizing and neutralize the effects of acid.
17. Sodium in celery much beneficial
Celery has god sodium content. Moreover, it is much easier for the body to absorb the salt in celery as opposed to regular table salt. This helps to keep away from salty food cravings. Studies reveal that it has a protective effect against colon cancer.
18. Chlorophyll rich
Ever wondered why it is advised to eat green leafy vegetables. The reason is chlorophyll present in them which has plenty of benefits. The chlorophyll helps regenerate the blood, has anti-cancer, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and also anti-mutagenic
19. Helps You Calm down!
Celery for Anxiety & Stress relief? Yes, you heard it correct! The minerals, especially magnesium, present in celery and essential oil soothe down the nervous system and helps you relax.
20. Helpful in Diabetes
Celery leaves are high in fiber. Consumed on a regular basis can help treat diabetic conditions.
21. Overall health care
All parts of celery including the seeds, roots and leaves can also be used. Consuming celery regularly helps to avoid kidney, gallbladder pancreas, and liver diseases. It also cures neuritis, asthma, high blood pressure, constipation, mental exhaustion, acidosis, anemia, obesity and more. Therefore, celery is an overall health caretaker.
Here are some simple tips for eating celery with your meal
- You can try celery salad. Add celery leaves to vegetables of your choice. Sprinkle salt and crushed pepper for taste. You can also add lime juice or olive oil for dressing.
- You can also make a celery fruit salad. Mix celery leaves with the fruits of your choice. Lastly just mix orange with mayonnaise and sprinkle it over the salad. Enjoy the healthy delicious salad.
- A more one more healthy simple dish. Try celery soups. Prepare soup or gravy of your choice and add celery stalks and leaves to it.
- In the case of pregnancy and breastfeeding, intake of celery oil and seeds are quite unsafe when taken by mouth in medicinal amounts. If taken in large amounts it might make the uterus contract and cause a miscarriage. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
- Some people are allergic to plants and spices. Celery can also cause allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to certain other plants and spices.
- Don’t use celery if you have a bleeding disorder. It might increase the risk of bleeding when used in medicinal amounts.
- Celery might cause inflammation. It is better to stay away during kidney problems.
- Celery can affect the central nervous system. If you are having a surgery stop consuming celery 2 weeks before your surgery. There is some concern that celery, in combination with anesthesia and other medications used during and after surgery might slow down the central nervous system too much.