Apple cider vinegar is also known as cider vinegar or ACV. It is made from cider or apple must. It possesses a pale to medium amber color. Health benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar is known since ruby was in its prime.
Vinegar was discovered by the Babylonians around 5,000 BC by accident. This was one of the great accidental discovery because it was an extremely versatile product even during the ancient times. It was used to treat ailments and heal wounds.
Apple Cider Vinegar is prepared by crushing apples and squeezing out the liquid. Then the alcoholic fermentation process starts by adding bacteria and yeast to the liquid where the sugars are turned into alcohol. The alcohol is converted into vinegar in second fermentation process by acetic acid-forming bacteria. Acetic acid and malic acid are added to give vinegar its sour taste.
Apple Cider Vinegar is packed with vitamins and minerals. The health benefits include detoxification, relief from arthritis, asthma, diarrhea, diabetes, cancer, high cholesterol. It also aids in weight loss and enhances the metabolism process.
Apple Cider Vinegar also acts as antibiotic. The amino acids present in it work effectively as antiseptic, and the acetic acid content present in the vinegar aids in the treatment of various fungal and bacterial infections.
NUTRITIONAL VALUE PER 100G
- Calories 22
- Carbohydrate 0.9g
- Potassium 73mg
- Sodium 5mg
- Sugar 0.4g
- Magnesium 1%
- Iron 1%
HEALTH BENEFITS OF APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
1. Apple cider vinegar helps to get relief from arthritis. The arthritic condition of inflamed joints is due to the accumulation of toxic waste in the body. ACV is said to relieve pain in the joints and also controls the dangerous progress of the arthritic condition.
2. Apple cider works excellent for losing excess weight. It burns all the unwanted calories and enhances body’s metabolism working at its best.
3. ACV also manages bad cholesterol levels. It contains pectin and amino acids which are effective in neutralizing the bad cholesterol levels in the human body, thus protecting the cardiovascular system.
4. ACV is one of the most powerful detoxifying agents. It helps to clean the entire digestive system. It cleans the blood in the oxidation process, one of the most significant health benefits.
5. It also helps to manage diabetes. The dietary fiber present in ACV is beneficial to maintain proper blood glucose levels in the body.
6. Apple cider vinegar is good for skin also. It helps to restore the glow of the skin by improvising the circulation of nutrients in the body and also restricts the dilation of skin pores.
7. Apple cider vinegar is very useful in treating hair problems. It balances the pH of the scalp and helps to get rid of dandruff.
8. The apple cider helps to treat diarrhea symptoms. The pectin content forms the bulk fibrous matter and also forms a protective coat for calming the lining of the colon, thus providing relief from diarrhea.
9. ACV is also helpful in depression also. Doctors believe that ‘depression’ may be more connected with the physical body than the mental state. Apple cider vinegar can help in the fight against the depressing state by detoxifying and cleansing the liver.
10. Apple cider vinegar is also a good option in terms of pet care. It should be used in rinsing your dog, a way to treat it for various infections, as well as repel insects and ticks. In the case of cat care, vinegar should be used to clean the litter pan.
11. ACV has also shown relief in case of asthma. Many people have found relief from chronic asthma by consuming it. Applying vinegar-soaked pads to the inner region of the wrist area is also a good option.
12. Apple cider vinegar has the ability to neutralize the free radicals in the body. This may also decrease cancer risk. The anti-oxidant beta-carotene effectively neutralizes the free radicals formed through oxidation.
13. ACV clears your stuffy nose. It contains potassium, which makes your mucus thin; acetic acid prevents germ growth, thus relieving from nasal congestion.
14. It makes a great natural toner that can help you get rid of acne and leave your skin looking healthier. The antibacterial properties of ACV keep acne under control. The malic and lactic acids found in it balance the pH of your skin and act by softening the skin, exfoliating it and reducing red spots.
15. ACV is a magic treatment to boost your energy. Sometimes strenuous physical exercise cause lactic acid to build up in the body, causing fatigue. The amino acids contained in ACV act as an antidote. Moreover, ACV contains potassium and enzymes relieve from the feeling of tiredness.
16. Leg cramps can also be treated by ACV. They often sign that body is low in potassium. Since apple cider vinegar is high in it, intake of 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar with one teaspoon honey to a glass of warm water relieves you from leg cramps.
17. If your mouth still smells bad after brushing, then try apple cider vinegar. It works effectively in controlling your bad breath. Gargle it, or drink a teaspoon, its antibacterial properties kill odor-causing bacteria.
18. ACV also helps to whiten teeth allowing you to smile openly. The vinegar helps in removing stains, whiten teeth, and kill bacteria present in mouth and gums. Gargle with it and then Brush as usual.
19. Apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammatory properties; applying ACV on a bruise can help fade the discoloration.
20. ACV works effectively on a sore throat. The acidic environment created by it is not suitable to germs and thus it helps relieve from throat infections.
21. The sour taste apple cider vinegar could stop a hiccup in its tracks. They over-stimulating the nerves in the throat responsible for the spasms.
22. ACV also effective in treating Ear infections. They are caused by either a bacteria or virus in the middle ear. The anti-bacterial properties of ACV help to get rid of this.
23. Embarrassed of taking off your shoes in public because of the sweat build up in your feet. This can become a serious condition if not treated. To eliminate odors you should rub your feet with the paper towel soaked with ACV. It acts by balancing the pH levels, removing the bad odor from your feet.
24. Apple cider vinegar also helps to control your candida infections. Candida is a fungus that is present in the body that helps the body digest food and absorb nutrients. If there is an excess of candida, it breaks the wall of the intestine creating a “leaky gut”.To overcome this situation, it is advised to drink ACV mixed with honey and water.
25. ACV also improves calcium absorption by the body. It is not rich in calcium but the acetic acid can increase the body’s ability to absorb more minerals like calcium.
26. Apple cider vinegar also treats your nasty sunburns. Mixing ACV with water and applying on sunburn helps you calm from that burning sensation.
27. If you feel heartburn, then consuming ACV can help you out. Studies say that these heartburns, indigestion is not due to an excess of acids. These result from lack of it and it can be treated by consuming cider vinegar.
28. It is an effective remedy for treating moles, warts. Dip a cotton ball in vinegar and apply on the wart. Keep it overnight. Follow this till desired results come.
29. ACV also gives you shiny hairs. Rinsing hairs with ACV after shampooing makes them look silkier and shinier.
30. Many of the deodorants are not good for health. Apple cider vinegar acts as a natural deodorant and helps fight the odor-causing bacteria without harming the body. Just apply a little ACV under your arms and let it dry. You can easily show off your dry beautiful underarms.
HOW TO CONSUME APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- You can try sweetened “elixir”. Mix raw apple cider vinegar with grape or apple juice, with a pinch of cinnamon for taste and enjoy.
- This one is a detox drink recipe. Add lemon juice, cinnamon, cayenne, stevia (to sweeten the mixture) to ACV. This drink is a complete pack of antioxidant and energy.
- Adding liquid stevia and ginger to ACV helps to aid digestion, heal stomach issues.
- Apple cider vinegar mixed with lemons, garlic and honey are effective in fighting colds and flu.
- You can consume ACV with water also and also use it as a salad dressing. It is also used in marinades, vinaigrettes, as a food preservative, and also in chutneys.
- ACV contains chromium which can alter insulin levels, it is therefore advised that people who have diabetes should consult their doctors before using ACV.
- apple cider vinegar during pregnancy and breast-feeding is generally not advised due to its acidic nature.
- ACV is acidic in nature, it might be not suitable for everyone. So better to consult your doctor first before consuming.
- If taken in high amounts, ACV can damage or corrode the esophagus, tooth enamel, and stomach lining due to the high level of citric acidic content.