Eating healthy means gifting your body with nutrients so that it can fight with diseases and also keeps you active. Healthy eating means filling your plate with heart-healthy foods like fruits and vegetables, fiber, eating healthy fats, eating fish a couple times a week, and limiting unhealthy fats like trans fats, as well as salt and sugar.
Well, no single food can fulfill the requirements of different vitamins, minerals, and proteins. People generally are confused what to eat and what to stay away from. Here are few foods that one must incorporate in the diet to stay fit.
1. Dairy products
- Cheese is incredibly nutritious, and also one of the most delicious foods. A single slice of it contains about the same nutrients as an entire cup of milk.
- Whole milk is one of the best sources of calcium. It is very high in vitamins, minerals, protein and healthy fats.
- Yogurt has many of the same health effects as milk, except with the added benefits of the friendly probiotic bacteria.
- Kidney beans are very high in fiber and are loaded with vitamins and minerals. Cook them properly, as they are toxic when raw.
- Lentils are high in fiber and are among the best sources of plant-based protein.
- Green beans are unripe varieties of the common bean.
- Brown rice is quite nutritious, having a decent amount of fiber, vitamin B1, and magnesium.
- Oats are loaded with nutrients, and also contain powerful fibers called beta-glucan
- Quinoa is high in nutrients like fiber and magnesium and also an excellent source of plant-based protein. Check out 15 Health Benefits of Quinoa!
- Salmon is a type of oily fish, popular for its excellent taste and high amount of nutrients, including protein and Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Sardines are small, oily fish that contain hefty amounts of the majority of nutrients required by the human body.
- Tuna is low in fat and calories but is high in protein.
- Shrimp is low in fat and calories, but high in protein. It is also loaded with various other nutrients, including vitamin B12.
- Asparagus is low in both carbs and calories but is loaded with vitamin K. Check out 20 Health Benefits of Asparagus!
- Bell peppers are a great source of antioxidants and vitamin C, and are crunchy and taste very sweet.
- Broccoli is an excellent source of fiber, vitamin K, and vitamin C, and also contains a decent amount of protein.
- Carrot is loaded with nutrients like fiber and vitamin K and also very high in carotene antioxidants. Discover 15 Health Benefits of Carrots!
- Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable. It is widely used to make different sorts of healthy recipes, and also tastes good on its own.
- Cucumber is low in carbs and calories and consists mostly of water. It contains a number of nutrients in small amounts, including vitamin K.
- Garlic contains allicin, a bioactive compound with powerful biological effects, which includes improved immune function. Also Read: 10 Amazing Health Benefits of Garlic!
- Kale is high in vitamin K, vitamin C, fiber and other nutrients. It adds a satisfying crunch to salads and recipes. Check out 17 health benefits of Kale!
- Onions possess strong flavor and are popular for use in recipes. They contain a number of bioactive compounds that are believed to have health benefits. Check out 15 Health Benefits of Onions!
- Tomatoes are generally categorized as a vegetable, but they are technically a fruit. Tomatoes have lycopene and are super delicious, loaded with nutrients like potassium and vitamin C. Discover 20 Health Benefits of Tomatoes!
- Moreover, vegetables like – Brussels sprouts, celery, mushrooms, eggplant, cabbage, leeks, lettuce, radishes, squash, turnips, zucchini etc. also are super healthy and advised for consumption.
- Almonds are loaded with antioxidants, vitamin E, magnesium, and fiber. Moreover, almonds also help to lose weight and provide impressive benefits for metabolic health.
- Chia seeds are the most nutrient dense foods. 28 grams of chia seeds i.e. a single ounce contains 11 grams of fiber. Chia seeds contain good amounts of manganese, calcium, magnesium, and various other nutrients.
- Coconuts are one the tastiest and super healthy food. They are loaded with fiber and powerful fatty acids called medium-chain triglycerides.
- Macadamia nuts are much higher in monounsaturated fats and lower in Omega-6 fatty acids.
- Walnuts are highly nutritious and loaded with fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Peanuts which are technically legumes, not nuts are high in nutrients and antioxidants and incredibly tasty. Studies show that peanuts can also help you lose weight. Well, just be careful with the peanut butter as it is very high in calories, so consume in limited amounts.
- Lean beef is loaded with highly bioavailable iron and is among the best sources of protein.
- Chicken breast is a great source of many nutrients. It is low in fat and calories, but extremely high in protein.
Eggs are among the most nutritious foods on the planet. Their high protein content makes them best for consumption.
- Apples are high in fiber, vitamin C, and numerous antioxidants. They are very fulfilling and perfect as snacks. It is always advised to eat one apple daily to keep away the doctor.
- Avocados are loaded with healthy fats instead of carbs. They are high in fiber, potassium and vitamin C and taste creamy and delicious.
- Bananas are the best sources of potassium. They are high in vitamin B6 and fiber. Also, they are convenient and portable.
- Oranges, well known for their vitamin C content are also high in fiber, antioxidants and have excellent taste.
- Grapes, mango, peaches, grapefruit, lemons, melons, kiwi, olives, pears, pineapples, plums also recommended and healthy for consumption.
- Strawberries are low in carbs and calories. They are loaded with fiber vitamin C, manganese, and are among the most delicious foods.
- Blueberries are super delicious and are among the most powerful sources of antioxidants.
11. Fats and oils
- Coconut oil is loaded with powerful fatty acids and have benefits for Alzheimer’s disease. It has also been linked to helping you lose belly fat.
- The extra virgin olive oil contains heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and is also very high in antioxidants.
- Potatoes are loaded with potassium and contain a little bit of almost every nutrient we need, also including vitamin C. They also have a fulfilling effect.
- Sweet potatoes are delicious starchy foods you can eat. They are loaded with antioxidants and all sorts of healthy nutrients.
With all these different foods, do not forget to add water. Water is very essential. Drink 2-3 Litres of water daily to stay healthy. Maintain a diet chart for yourself and exercise regularly.