Connect with us

Remain Healthy

Hidden Health Dangers Lurking in Your Home


Hidden Health Dangers Lurking in Your Home!

Despite our efforts to keep our homes spotless and healthy, there are often dangers that remain hidden in unexpected places. Additionally, if you’re living in an old house, chances are that it’s a home to many hazards you’re not even aware of. In order to create a toxin-free environment for your family, you need to carefully check your home for potential hazards, and eliminate them as soon as possible.

Cleaning Products

Cleaning products are fraught with dangerous chemicals that can seriously endanger your health. Sure, they may help you keep your home spotless and remove even the most stubborn stains. However, have you ever stopped to think what is it that makes them so powerful, or why is the smell so strong and sharp? Instead of breathing in all those toxins, you should opt for more environmentally friendly products. Not only will they help you keep your house clean equally efficiently, but they will also help you protect your health and the environment. You can even make your own cleaning solutions with just a few simple ingredients, and be sure that your cleaning products are really safe.



Even though they can be a stylish addition to your décor, carpets and area rugs are actually home to many dangerous toxins. Even if you clean them regularly and meticulously, you will never be able to eliminate all hazards hidden in them. Additionally, if you tend to wear shoes inside your home, you can only imagine what you bring from the outside. Not only are they havens for allergens, such as dust mites, but they also contain high levels of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), flame retardants and insecticides. Therefore, you should consider removing your carpets altogether in order to ensure your family’s safety.



If you have leaks or water build-ups in your home, you probably have mold, too. Apart from having an unpleasant smell, mold can cause health problems, especially in individuals prone to severe allergic reactions or with asthma. In order to get rid of mold, you need to regulate humidity in your house and eliminate moisture. You can easily achieve this by installing a fan to keep a room dry or opt for other efficient ventilation solutions. Additionally, you can purchase a dehumidifier for your basement. However, you need to make sure that there are no leaks in order to prevent mold from occurring again. If you notice even the smallest traces of mold, remove them immediately in order to prevent it from spreading.



Apart from possessing a great decorative and transformational power, paint can also present a major source of potential hazards. If your house was built before the 1970s, the chances are that your walls are covered with a lead-based paint. Over the years, paint starts peeling off, and particles released can spread around your house and become airborne. If inhaled, lead-based paint can cause lead poisoning, especially in children, which can affect their brain development. If your house is older, it’s advisable that you check your paint for lead, and remove it if necessary.

Another hidden toxin in the paint is VOCs, a combination of different chemicals that affect indoor air quality and can cause serious health problems. Prolonged exposure to VOCs, that are emitted as gasses, can result in dizziness, headaches, eye irritation, respiratory problems, and even an increased risk of cancer. Therefore, you should consider replacing your paint with low-VOC or VOC-free paint in order to create a healthy environment for your family.


Although asbestos won’t pose threats to your health as long as it’s not disturbed, exposure to this dangerous substance can cause serious health problems, including lung cancer, asbestosis or stiffening and scarring of the lungs, mesothelioma (asbestos-caused cancer of the chest and abdomen), etc. There’s no way of knowing whether you have asbestos until it starts causing health problems. That’s why if you’re planning to remodel, it’s of the utmost importance that you seek help from experts for asbestos removal in Sydney. They can conduct a series of tests to check whether there’s asbestos in your home, and remove it safely if necessary.

When it comes to potential sources of asbestos, if you have floors made of linoleum, vinyl, or asphalt tile materials, vinyl wallpaper or drop-down ceiling tiles, you might have asbestos in your home. As long as you don’t remove these materials, you won’t be exposed to the adverse effects of asbestos. However, if you have some remodeling plans, you should be extra careful and consult professionals.

Your house won’t be completely clean and healthy until you tackle the hidden dangers that are lurking in the corners, carpets, and damp and dark areas. Once you remove them, you can enjoy your home with your family.



Continue Reading
You may also like...

Stacey Cooper is a business consultant with a genuine love for the environment and living in balance with nature.She is a full-time mom with a passion for writing and providing useful tips how to stay healthy in unhealthy times. She enjoys reading and cooking for her family and friends.


Get more stuff like this
in your inbox

Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.

Trending Now!

To Top